Thursday, April 26, 2012

My First Haircut... on Jayden.

In the words of my husband "No, you can't even blame it on him because he doesn't yet know how to hold a scissors, Deb".

I remember the time when my brother returned from the barber all upset because they didnt cut the hair on top of his head uniform to the rest growing around it (yes think short all around and long on top). I managed to convince him what a great prospective hairdresser I would be, and we ended up using a just a scissors (no comb at all!!) to 'correct' this seemingly unsightly haircut. The result was fantastic - at first. Did I mention that my brother is the tallest person in the family so no one noticed the patches until we went to church and all his other friends did. For the next few weeks he was known as 'patchy boy'. We can laugh about it now, but it was so not funny then. Especially to my brother.

Fastforward to present. The thing I realise about impromptu haircuts is that it all starts innocently enough. All I wanted to do then was help my brother. Genuinely from the heart. Jayden's hair was getting longer and touching his neck, so all I wanted to do was to trim the ends. Really. So I stripped him naked, got him into the tub and started snipping away. This is a snippet of the conversation between Josh and I.

After the back part was done:
Me: "Hey look it doesnt look too bad doesnt it?!! "
Josh: **long pause** then "oh yeah its okay."
Me: "I think ill trim the top too okay? I mean how hard can it be?" (Famous last words)
Josh: **even longer pause** "Erm Deb it is a rash decision, do we really want to do this now??"
Me: "If not now, then when? Oh yeah it'll be fine i think, hair is just hair it will grow back"
Josh: "Um... okayy... i guess..."

Looking back at this i think every fibre in my poor long suffering husband was wanting to scream at me "NO NO NONONOOONONO WHAT ARE U THINKING WOMAN GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN (lol)!!!" but Josh being the nice/gentlemanly(ha ha) person he is, held back.

I then take one biggg snip off the top of Jayden's hair
Me: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! WHAT HAVE I DONE AW MAN!!"
Josh: "DEB oh NO!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!"

My son now looks like a vagabond (a socially not accepted person). The line of hair outlining his forehead is now ragged and zig-zagged. Hair is everywhere in the tub, clinging to his body and getting into his eyes. He is not a happy camper. Me? I am holding the scissors and freaking out. Not in a good place at all. Josh is staring at his once formerly perfect son's hair and shaking his head.

The rest of the haircut pretty much went like this. Suffice to say at the end of it I was a wreck, Jayden was crying and Josh, well HE was fine. Afterall, it wasnt HIS hair that I butchered. Neither did HE do any butchering. I think he was able to see the funny side of it first. I was unable to look at Jayden's hair for the next few days without surpressing the urge to burst into tears.

Okay enough talk, here's the hair. You may think it doenst look too bad but, it does to me.
We (and by we i mean Josh) finally shaved it all off. He didnt do a half-bad job either. Hence here is my cute little botak headed son for you:


Not saying that I will never attempt this again, I will at some point, but it will be when I have finally gotten over the trauma of giving a bad haircut.

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately Jen is better barber than you, for I depend on that for my haircuts . hahaha.

    ReplyDelete